Kira’s Journey

Thanks to enormous public generosity and huge fundraising efforts in response to their urgent appeal, Kira’s family raised more than the £340,000 needed for her life-saving surgery in 2018.

Kira’s been fighting neuroblastoma since she was 11 years old. She’s now 14 and has faced four gruelling rounds of treatment to try to get rid of her disease.

Despite best medical efforts it was not possible to remove a growing tumour during a major operation in January 2018. To give Kira the best hope of continuing her life free from this disease, she needed potentially life-saving surgery in New York. Kira’s parents, along with her cancer specialist, identified a world-renowned surgeon who specialises in the most difficult to remove tumours and the operation at the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre was a success. Kira’s scans were clear in June 2018.

But by August an MRI scan showed neuroblastoma in the pancreatic area and it was decided that Proton Beam Therapy in New Jersey would be Kira’s best treatment option. It was her second radiotherapy to this region, so Proton Beam’s acute accuracy was important in the decision making. This was paid for from funds already banked from Kira’s urgent appeal.

Sadly, Kira’s cancer continued to grow during Proton Beam Therapy and scans in January 2019 showed new spots of disease in her abdomen. The family are currently in discussions to decide on their next step and we will update you when we have news. They continue to fundraise in case Kira’s disease is resistant to her next treatment and she needs to travel overseas again to access a clinical trial.

Mum Aud, says: “Although this news is devastating, we thank you all first of all for your continued support. Figuratively speaking, Kira is undoubtedly swimming against the tide – but I think it’s so important to point out that she is indeed still swimming and we believe she will reach the shore… especially with her huge army supporting her.@

 

Read more...

 

How you can help Kira

There are many ways you can help Kira: by making a personal donation; holding a fundraising event; getting sponsored to take on a challenge; or simply following and sharing Kira’s story through her Facebook page “Kira the machine“.

Download our free Kira resources (below) to support your fundraising, and click here for even more resources, including fundraising ideas, templates and guidance.

Sponsorship Form

Campaign Poster

Event Poster Template

To donate by text, send “KIRA” followed by any whole amount up to £20 to 70085. This will cost your donation plus your standard network charge. It won’t matter if you leave a space before the number, if you include a ‘£’ sign or whether you use upper or lower case.

If you’d like help supporting Kira’s campaign, please get in touch with the fundraising team on 0207 284 0800 | fundraising@solvingkidscancer.org.uk.

“Please join us and support Kira on her arduous and challenging journey as she fights to kick this vile disease into touch! Thank you for all of your support.” Kira’s parents, Aud and Ronnie.”

Terms and Conditions for Appeals

All donations are paid into Solving Kids’ Cancer’s (SKC) general funds to further its general charitable purposes. The funds raised by this Appeal are not restricted for the child’s use. However, the trustees of SKC have agreed to designate 93% of funds raised by this Appeal to help pay for treatment costs and all other associated costs including travel and accommodation. We will use the remaining 7% to pay for Solving Kids’ Cancer’s administrative and fundraising costs.

If: the child no longer needs the funds; the fundraising target is exceeded; insufficient funds are raised to fund the treatment; or if the trustees decide, at their absolute discretion, that the funds should be used for a different purpose, they may redesignate all or part of the 93% for SKC’s general charitable purposes. We are very grateful for your charitable donation.

For further information about SKC and how we spend donations, please contact info@solvingkidscancer.org.uk .

Solving Kids’ Cancer Europe a registered charity no. 1135601 and registered company no. 7208648.

Terms and Conditions for Journeys

All donations are paid into Solving Kids’ Cancer’s (SKC) general funds to further its general charitable purposes. The funds raised by this Journey are not restricted for the child’s use. However, the trustees of SKC have agreed to designate 90% of funds raised by this Journey to help the child and their family pay for potential future treatment costs and all other associated costs including travel and accommodation. We will use the remaining 10% to pay for SKC’s administrative and fundraising costs.

If the child no longer needs the funds, or if the trustees decide, at their absolute discretion, that the funds should be used for a different purpose, they may redesignate all or part of the 90% for SKC general charitable purposes. We are very grateful for your charitable donation.

For further information about SKC and how we spend donations, please contact info@solvingkidscancer.org.uk

Solving Kids' Cancer Europe a registered charity no. 1135601 and registered company no. 7208648.

Join our newsletter

For information and guidance on how Solving Kids’ Cancer manages your personal information please see our Privacy Policy

Privacy Policy (click to expand)

Follow Us

Useful links

Contact us

Solving Kids' Cancer

Tel: 020 7284 0800

CAN Mezzanine
49-51 East Road
London
N1 6AH

Contact us