Chloe’s Appeal


The NCCA UK have joined Chloe’s family in a race against time to get their little girl onto a clinical trial in the United States.

We have until the 9 January to raise £100,000 so that Chloe can access a pioneering treatment option in the US for the high risk childhood cancer, neuroblastoma. The NCCA UK is working with British oncologists to make an equivalent drug trial available here, but Chloe does not have time to wait for this development. She needs help right now.

Your donation can help give Chloe a chance to grow up…

Chloe had always been a bubbly healthy little girl, she was never ill. At 18 months her parents, Karen and Richard, took her to the doctor after she complained that her tummy hurt. On referral to a dietician, the advice was to stop giving Chloe cow’s milk and leave her on formula milk. Chloe seemed fine.

8 months later, Chloe’s parents noticed that their daughter’s appetite had reduced and she had become very lethargic, sweaty and pale, with her tummy becoming very bloated. She was having difficulty walking and her parents became seriously concerned. Visits to the GP and local A&E resulted in Chloe undergoing a range of tests.

On the 25 October an ultrasound was performed. Karen said that “within an hour our world was turned upside down. We were given the devastating news that our precious daughter Chloe had a tumour in her tummy believed to be a form of childhood cancer called neuroblastoma.”

Having never heard the word, Karen and Richard were in complete shock but things moved at breakneck speed. Just 3 days later the family were transferred to Great Ormond Street Children’s Hospital for further tests.

Karen openly explains: “We were told she had advanced stage 4 high risk metastatic neuroblastoma, meaning the tumours had spread throughout her body. She had a large tumour in her abdomen and the cancer was in her bone marrow throughout her skeleton”

Like more than half of children diagnosed with neuroblastoma, the cancer was already at an advanced stage by the time it was discovered.

“It felt as if we were going to lose her at any minute,” they said.

The family was determined not to lose hope and treatment was started whist Karen and Richard tried to keep Chloe unaware of their mounting fears.

Chloe has spent nearly 7 months in hospital – enduring countless tests with chemotherapy surgery, stem cell harvesting, high dose chemotherapy, radiotherapy surgery and immunotherapy.

“Chloe brings light and laughter even during the most difficult days.” says Karen.

Chloe’s response to treatment has been very good – just before her immunotherapy began her body showed no signs of the disease.

“Although it’s such a relief to see her in remission, there’s a realisation that we are not out of the woods and that what we have already been through can happen again hangs over us daily” admits Karen.

High risk neuroblastoma has a high rate of relapse, meaning the disease often returns after periods in remission.

At the end of November, Chloe’s antibody treatment will end. If final scans show no evidence of disease, this will signify the end of Chloe’s current treatment path in the UK.

As relapse rates for neuroblastoma are high, Chloe’s family are urgently fundraising for her to access a clinical trial in the US that aims to further reduce this risk. The NCCA UK are working with UK oncologists to make the next generation of a protocol available here but unfortunately it will not be open in time for Chloe to be able to access it.

We must raise £100,000 by 9 January 2015 to make this possible.


All donations are paid into NCCA UK’s general funds to further its general charitable purposes. The funds raised by this Appeal are not restricted for Chloe’s use. However, the trustees of NCCA UK have agreed to designate 93% of funds raised by this Appeal to help Chloe and her family pay for treatment costs and all other associated costs including travel and accommodation. We will use the remaining 7% to pay for NCCA UK’s administrative and fundraising costs.

If Chloe no longer needs the funds, if the fundraising target is exceeded or insufficient funds are raised to fund the treatment, or if the trustees decide, at their absolute discretion, that the funds should be used for a different purpose, they may redesignate all or part of the 93 % for NCCA UK’s general charitable purposes. We are very grateful for your charitable donation.

For further information about NCCA UK and how we spend donations, please see our FAQs

Thanks for taking the time to visit my JustGiving page.

Donating through JustGiving is simple, fast and totally secure. Your details are safe with JustGiving – they’ll never sell them on or send unwanted emails. Once you donate, they’ll send your money directly to the charity. So it’s the most efficient way to donate – saving time and cutting costs for the charity.