Here are our top tips to sourcing free and fantastic prizes for your raffle!
Planning – be strategic!
- Think about how much you want to raise and the value of your prizes. This will help you determine how much you sell them for.
- Keep in mind who will be buying your tickets and what they would want to win?
- Challenge yourself not to buy prizes but get them donated instead!
- Think about the businesses in your local area and what they could offer..?
- Remember, smaller independent organisations may be more likely to donate than a larger national organisation
- Brainstorm who you know, then who they know! Can they help you?
- Be sure to make your asks early so you have enough time to gather enough prizes.
- Don’t forget to think about any expiry dates on prizes in relation to your raffle date!
- If you have lots of smaller items, they could make one more valuable and attractive prize!
- Go for quality over quantity!
Making the ask
- Before you make an ask, take time to think about what you are fundraising for and why. This will help you communicate why you would like a prize donation and how it will help.
- If you’re asked for written confirmation that you are organising a raffle for Solving Kids’ Cancer, we can provide it! Email us and request a letter of authority.
- Think about anything you can give the business in return, and remember to tell then! If you’re organising a larger event, can you recognise their contribution publically, or promote their business to your audience?
- If you’re making asks by email, try to find the name of the most relevant person to address your communication too.
- Send a thank you note to everyone who donates a prize and let them know how successful your fundraising was and how their support helped the charity.
When you’re successful in securing a prize, make sure to iron out any terms and conditions surrounding the prize, including an expiration date. You’ll need to make any conditions clear to your audience too!